4.05.2013

Finding Your Personal Style

 
 
"Listen to your inner voice. First instincts are usually the right ones. Choose items that you feel comfortable wearing, and don't be afraid to try new things. Most important, feel good about what you're wearing. Choose a wardrobe that reflects your lifestyle, your passions, and your dreams."
Donatella Versace

Today's post is all about finding your own personal style, how to go about doing this, and a few tips to help. Some people really struggle with this and it is kind of a tough slump to get out of. Maybe you arent around people that care about fashion at all, like I was when I first starting becoming really interested in it. From personal experience I know how it feels... to want to dress fashionably.. but youre scared of what people will think, or feel like you dont know what looks good together. Honestly I myself, cant even directly put a catergory on my personal style, I just buy anything I like and I think will look good on me. Whether it be on 'trend' or not. I think the most important thing about any outfit is just feeling confident in what you're wearing. Wear what you feel good in and dont let the clothes wear you! Confidence is key.
 
 
Here are some of my most favortie fashion tips I have ever come across! Seriously, they are amazing and so true.
 
SHOP SOLO: You'll be able to concentrate more on what you are trying to find and what you want. This is something I really have been doing recently and I love it. I dont have to worry about opinions from friends or family that effect my purchasing decisions. Countless times I have left an item I love because of one opinon from who im shopping with!
 
OPEN YOUR MIND: Always take one "its cute but not really my style" thing into the dressing room. You never know! Usually these are the items I end up getting, something different!
 
ORGANIZE YOUR CLOSET: Organize your closet. This way you'll be able to see what you own (and actually wear it). Separate your clothes by garment. Figure out what needs to be hanged. Use storage shelfs for purses and buy a shoe rack. I have my closet organized by garment, (blouses, tanks, tshirts) Then by color. I have a hanging shoe rack and also a shelfing unit shoe rack, keeps everything super organized! Also you should be able to see everything you have without rummaging. Make sure your clothes have breathing room and every 6 months to a year clean it out and donate! (I'll admit, i'm a clothes hoarder....I have a hard time getting rid of them!)
 
ACCESSORIES: Accessories are always, always, always a good buy. Spend most of your budget on it! Having the right pieces of accessories can make and outfit from dull to amazing. A statement purse or necklace is perfect for dressing up any plain shirt. Its always a good idea to accessorize in color, it adds so much energy and creativness to any outfit. Surprisingly color purses are super versitile and can go with a lot more than you think. Once you have that under control try wearing a neutral based outfit with shoes a bag two different complementary colors! The right extras can make you feel more relaxed about the rest of your outfit.
 
KNOW YOUR JEANS: The secret to a soft and formfitting jean is 95% cotton and %5 Lycra! For jeans to hold their shape they need at least 2% Lycra.
 
LAYER YOUR NECKLACES: Coco Chanels more-is-more approach still makes a statement today. Layer up! It adds originality to your outfit and makes it more interesting!
 
PAIR LOOSE WITH TIGHT: This is what leggings are made for yall, the thing I hear all the time is "leggings are not pants" well yes I agree in some cases, but here is really how you wear leggings. Pair them with oversized tops, sweaters, blazers, shirts...(make sure all the right things are covered) The shirt has to be long and flow with the type of leggings you have or else you will be the one everyone is staring at in the mall and cause someone to tweet or facebook the infamous "OMG leggings are not pants, how do people not understand this?!" quote. Be careful! Here some examples of the correct way! If you want to be safe go with a pair of 'jeggings' leggings that are still technically jeans, they are super comfy yet you can still get the chic tight-loose look with them!
 
 
 
Hope you enjoyed todays post! Comment, like, or share and let me know what you think!
 
xoxo dnb


1 comments:

  1. I almost always shop alone! Not only do I have more luck finding items but I find it therapeutic... alone with my thoughts and with fashion! I love to get home and brag about the deals I found! Oh... and, of COURSE, I agree with having tons of accessories! ;) My closest is organized by color and I use only white plastic hangers for a uniform look. It keeps everything very neutral! Great entry, Devin! Amazing tips!

    ReplyDelete

© Allure Atlantic 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis